Benjamin recently celebrated his big “23”, and he asked that I please refrain from my usual birthday present spoiling, since he recently bought himself some wonderful, but somewhat necessary presents (cough, new truck, cough, new gun, cough, cough). Me, refrain from spoiling?? Please… So Hattie and I cleverly came up with a sweet “23 Reasons Why We Adore You” gift, one that appeased his frugal side, as well as his present loving side (he really does like to be spoiled…) I thought that I would share his gift with you, so that you can:
1. Use this as an idea and a reference for future holidays/birthdays, because if your boy toy is anything like mine, and has everything under the sun, gift giving can become stressful after a few years!
2. Listen to me dote on the birthday boy of course, because we truly are exponentially blessed to have him in our lives. Matthew 6:21 tells us, “Where your treasure is, there your heart will also be”. My relationship with my mister is my heart and my treasure, and as Elizabeth George tells us in her beautiful book, “Never pass up an opportunity to bless your husband in public”. Uplifting him always is my duty, so today I am shouting his wonderfulness from the mountaintops-think of this blog as my Mount Everest for the day, as we give thanks for the wonderfully unique man that we call son, friend,brother, husband, and dad.
Here are the details
-I purchased a few items for this gift, but most were practical things that we were going to be buying in upcoming weeks anyways. The beauty of it was that the attached “reason why we adore you” was the actual gift. He was gifted with love and adoration, the items were just bonuses! I also used items from around the house to finish up the gift as well. It will make more sense once you read on.
-I printed each “reason” on a business card. I keep the Avery business cards on hand for things like this, and just opened up the template in Word, typed in my information, printed, tore the perforated cards apart, punched a hole, and tied each “reason” to each matching item using hemp (jute also works well, or string that you may have lying around).
The “reasons” were as follows:
1. Your beautiful eyes, that you passed on to Hattie – Sunglass Retainer/Holder
2. Your skills in the kitchen, when you decide to share them with us- Tony Chachere’s (he had just ran out the night before when cooking doves-perfect!)
3. How you love everything that I cook, and eat it all, it makes me feel as skilled as the pioneer woman – “I Owe You a Sandwich Ring” (his fav meal, he was attending a men’s supper that night, so I cooked it for him the following night).
4. How you like to relax and enjoy a drink from time to time, but you keep it in check, setting an example for your family and keeping your mind sober for our protection- a 6 pack of his favorite beer.
5. The dirt that you bring in at the end of the day, because it means you made it safely home, and for that I am always grateful (but it would be okay if you left a little outside though)- Boot Brush
6. How your heritage, laugh lines, and sweat marks are all evident on your beautiful face, and how we just know that you will age beautifully- Leather Wipes (for new truck seats)
7. How you make us love you to “pieces”- Reese’s Pieces
8. Your scent, which may smell alarmingly similar to Lever 2000, but we love it and it is comforting- scent for his truck
9. The beautiful smile that you give us, even when you are mad and making light of the situation- Trident Gum
10. Your deep voice, because even when we fuss that you are too loud, don’t think that it doesn’t put us at ease- Cough Drops
11.How you take pride in what you own and care for it with respect- Bag of Quarters for the car wash
12. The meat on your bones (this isn’t a fat joke,we really do love it).- His fav. beef jerkey
13. How easily being a father comes to you- laminated photo of Hattie’s one year pics for his truck
14.Your passion for the great outdoors, and your hunting and fishing skills (it’s sexy when you talk about ten pound test fishing line)- sour worms
15. All of the kisses that you give- Burt’s Bees Wax
16. Your strong hands that bleed and work for our family day in and day out- GoJo
17. How “sharp” you are under pressure, and your very impressive math skills- Ink pens and sharpies for his truck
18. How you are such a “sweet tea” to your girls- Freshly brewed pitcher of sweet tea
19. Your personality that “pops” everyone’s attention towards you when you enter a room- Popcorn seasoning
20. How many steps those feet walk for us daily, with no complaints- I Owe You a Pedicure/Foot Massage (at home of course)
21. How you seek God’s counsel often in accordance with your duties as a father and husband, relying on the Holy Spirit to make you better and stronger every day.- Book
22. How you love to call Hattie “pretzel”, and how Hattie loves to hear you say it- Bag of pretzels
23. The fabulous way that you taught Hattie to kiss, ‘Muah!”- Hattie gave him a kiss with her mouth WIDE open.
His gifts were all scattered around the dress me up plate and a small cake. He loved it, and I’m sure your man would too. It’s so easy to add your own little personal touches to something such as this. All it takes is a little planning, and a lot of love. Your guy will be more thrilled to listen to all of the genuine reasons you love him that he won’t even notice all of the little “check out line” gifts. Send me a pic if you happen to try it out! I would love to see it!!!
And now for some pictures of our birthday boy!!!
So to sum it all up…
He’s a top notch swaddler
a keen businessman
a jokester sure to lighten any mood
But most importantly, he’s perfect for us.
Happy Birthday to our favorite guy, you’re a true gem.
Amber and Hattie Banana Pretzel