Is it really almost Easter?
I feel like this sentiment echos from household to household as of late. Maybe it’s because Todd Anthony’s birth on Christmas Eve kind of turned the entire holiday season into one big NAP. But we’re awake now, and holy cow, it’s a completely new season!
Growing up Easter was always one of my favorite holidays! For me, Christmas was fantastic too, but there’s a seasonal shift that occurs right in conjunction with Easter Sunday, and it’s like two big events in one! Flip flops, shorts, the resurrection, sunshine, eternal salvation, sno-cones, new life. You see? Doesn’t the whole mix of everything happen at once excite you? I for one, am super excited. I need some sun in my life-and we could all use a little eternal salvation.
Part of me rolls my eyes and thinks, first world problems when I see all of the Easter basket propaganda in our retail stores, but then part of me remembers the excitement that comes with Easter gift giving. We all know that the spirit of Easter lies in our ability to dissolve into the knowledge that Christ quite literally, and brutally, died for our sins, and then magnificently was called into heaven to preside over heaven and Earth with our Father. This is the beauty of Easter. Not the pastel eggs and glossy basket grass. But, those goodies are still fun, aren’t they? Especially with kids. So have fun with your Easter, within means, but don’t forget the true spirit of why we celebrate the way that we do!
Now, onto my gift lists… My parents went all out for our Easters. Like way out. It was literally like a second Christmas at our house. I stick to some of the same traditional things my mom used to stuff our baskets with, but I take it down a notch, I think my mom would agree, it’s better that way! One thing that my mom used to always give me for Easter was a new bathing suit, flip flops, beach towels, etc. It’s only logical since summer fun is right around the corner, to kill two birds with one stone. You’re going to be buying new summer gear soon, so why not just knock it out now, and use it as both a wardrobe stock, and gift choice? PLUS, at this time of the year, all of the stores are just getting their summer merchandise geared up, so you should have an awesome selection to choose from (no more being bummed in mid-May, when they have every single size of those palm tree printed swim trunks EXCEPT the one you need. AND, most stores run their specials right around this time, to promote early shopping, yet those sales will be dying down soon as the demand for summer products heat up, and then you get stuck paying full price for those nice duds. See ya’ll, win win here. I’m saving you money in the long run.
Let’s start with Gifts for the kiddos, since they’re the funnest ones to shop for anyway! I’ve compiled two different lists. The one below is just a general “goody” list, while the one following it contains all of my favorite swim essentials as of late. I hope that you enjoy! Clickable links follow each chart, and make sure you take into account the special deals that I post so that you can maximize your dolla dolla bills.
1. We’re big fans of the “God Gave Us” series, and love the message that curious little cub’s questions portray to our children. The Easter book is no different, such a good book to add to your collection.
2 and 3. We love to eat in this house, and while I’d rather not fill Hattie’s tummy with crappy, low quality junk, I do want her to indulge in sweet and savory candies and treats. I love the Annie’s fruit snacks, because they’re GMO free and contain organic ingredients. It’s not as healthy as an apple, but it’s better for her than a whole lot of the traditional Easter candies, plus they’re bunnies, so…yeah.
Stretch Island Fruit Co. is our new favorite. Ben gets one in his lunch everyday and continues to ask for them as a snack. It is fruit leather, and boy, it’s thick. It’s not thin and mushy like the roll up kind at the grocery store, but all of the ingredients are whole and pure. This snack is actually Whole30 approved! I bought a big box like the one above at Costco last weekend, but they started carrying them at our local Wal-Mart too. I know! I was stoked! The price at Amazon isn’t as good as at Costco, but if you don’t have a store like that close, it’s worth it since you get 48 and that should last you forever! Both of these items bought in bulk like in the examples would be great for filling multiple kiddos baskets and giving to friends and classmates!
Fresh fruit is always another great basket stuffer!
4. These aden + anais blankets would be perfect for a baby, plus they are on super sale right now, so if you have a little tiny baby, or even one on the way, I wouldn’t hesitate to snatch these up, especially if some of these AMAZING swaddles are already on your “to buy” list. I didn’t have any with Hattie, but purchased some for TA, and they are heaven. Seriously. I haven’t even taken my nursing cover out of my diaper bag in the last two months, I just use these, and bonus-they don’t smother my child while he’s eating! I absolutely love them, and where you normally pay $12.49/blanket, these are $8.15/blanket-big difference! I love the vintage circus print too, I would totally use it for either a boy or a girl. Can you imagine a little girl swaddled in that print with a tiny red bow. Yum.
5. Another gift idea for a little bitty one! How cute are these teethers? With fabric shaped like bunny ears too! I want to get some wooden toys for TA to grow with, and this one is made with organic wood. I love the simplicity and homey feel of wooden toys. So cute.
6 and 7. Another good idea to have in stock now is all of your body ointments for the summer months, specifically a good, non-toxic sunscreen, as well as bug repellent. Being huge fans and ambassadors of The Honest Company, we will definitely be using these this summer instead of the less healthy options. BONUS deal: If you missed out on my last Honest deal, you can take advantage of one now! Anyone making a FIRST TIME order with the Honest Company can now take $10 off! Just use the code AMBASSADOR10 at checkout, and you’re good to go! That means you can get both of these items for $23 and some change! (this includes shipping since a charge is incurred for not being over $50…)
8. Sidewalk chalk is our jam. We tear that stuff up in the spring/summer/fall months. It’s a good afternoon past time for us while we wait for Daddy to get home, and both she and I have a chance to be creative with it. We love our chalk, and always look for a reason to stock up more. One of my favorites is this bundle from Crayola, because they have so many colors! If you’re already making an amazon shipment over $25, just tack this on with it, if not, you can find it in stores usually, so keep your eyes peeled!
Now for the swim!
Target has got it going on this year with their swim selections, ya’ll. I’m in love with everything, and may or may not have/plan to order everything in the above photo. Plus, they’re running some killer deals at the moment, that let you get whatever you need for a steal, without having to leave your couch. I would seriously get to getting these beauts before they’re all gone!
1. This cover up is too cute for words. The fringe, the stripes, the v-neck. Just. I love it. And it pairs perfectly with the tutu swimsuit in coral. Which we already have. Hence, we totally need the cover-up.
2. This little girl’s suit is TO DIE FOR. Look at that thing!! I totally wish they had Hattie’s size, but it’s for the littlest of littles. If you have a wee little Sue, please put her in this for me. And if you have a toddler princess, the tutu suit in coral matches like a dream too! Can you imagine the beach pictures. Ahhhh, I’m on cuteness overload. (NOTE: This suit ranges from 3-9 months only, and is sold out online, but you can find it in most stores, so just see if your store has it in stock using the online search tool, and then run in and swipe it up!)
3. These flamingo trunks are adorable any way you look at them, and I love turquoise in a swimsuit-totally brings out the kiddos pretty summer skin, plus it just looks fun! This suit is another perfect matcher to the coral tutu suit. Looks like that coral suit is versatile to say the least…(NOTE: This suit’s sizing is from 9 months-7 Years old).
4. I’m all about the reusable swim diapers. I’ve blogged about them before, but they save you a lot of $$ by avoiding those expensive disposable ones, and they wash up like a dream! I like to have 2 or 3 for each child so that on trips you can slip one off for naps, and then slip a dry one back on after, or to change out in case a #2 accident happens in one. The Charlie Banana ones at Target are fantastic quality and I’ve used them countless times over the last two years. They definitely pay for themselves! I like the white over the printed options so that they don’t take away from the cute swimsuits.
5. These whale swim trunks. So. Flipping. Cute. They come in smaller sizes than the crab print ones for the littler gentlemen. They also match the navy polka dot swimsuit like a dream if you’re into matching your kiddos like me. It’s just too much fun. Not to mention, the price on these things are killer. (NOTE: these trunks are available from 3 months-9 months).
6. The star of today’s swim show-the coral tutu swimsuit. Neutral enough to match a variety of other styles and pretty enough for the princessiest of princesses (I’m aware that I just made that word up). Got a girl? Get it now. (NOTE: Suit available in sizes from 9 months – 6X).
7. This navy polka dot suit is dreamy too. I love the peplum style at the waist, and I think it lends such a little girly vibe to the already retro sweetheart neckline. Can you picture this on a little bouncing toddler with white framed sunglasses? I totally can. (Note: suit available in sizes from 9 months-6x).
BEST PART OF ALL GUYS. From now until 3/28/15 (Saturday) Any of these above items are buy one get one half off! This is crazy amazing, since some of these suits were under $10 to begin with! This goes for ALL clothing, shoes, and accessories for men, women, and children. ANDDDDD I’m like crazy excited about this, if you make a purchase over $25 your order ships FREE. How simple is that? To rack up $25. I totally took advantage of this, and if you order now, it should totally be here by Easter, so wait no longer, and get on that online shopping.
All of the above items, save the tiny flamingo girl’s suit since it isn’t available online, would run me $55. Steal.
Now, if you’re overzealous with your Target shopping fingers and find yourself with a whole lot of gear for your babes in your buggy, you can also take advantage of the special Target’s running at the moment for spending $125 or more on baby gear. You can earn a $20 gift card just by using the code SAVE20 at checkout.
As always, feel free to ask any questions below or shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org