Do you rubber band it til’ you can’t stand it when you’re pregnant? Me too. I try to keep pregnancy budget friendly, because Lord knows you can spend thousands on all of those things advertisement makes you think you need during that fleeting 9 month period, and I much rather drop dollars on baby supplies! I discovered in month 8 of my pregnancy with Hattie that maternity clothes actually lived up to some of its hype and was extremely comfortable, and believe you me, I have expandedmy maternity wardrobe for this pregnancy in the name of comfort, but still, there’s just SO MUCH out there that you don’t need. This list that I’ve compiled is not that at all. It is instead, things that you WILL love, WILL use, and at times may even think you DO indeed need. These goodies have helped me survive the last 7.5 months like a pregnancy pro. Okay, maybe not a pro, but I at least moved up to the minors this go round. It’s simple, and short, but worth every penny in my humble opinion. Everyone is different, every body shape is different, everyone’s taste is different, so it may be useless for some of you, but I like to get other pregnant opinions and reviews when I’m pregnant, so here’s mine. Take it with a grain of salt. Or sugar. I’ve been craving sweet treats. Can you tell?
1. Bump Nest Pregnancy Pillow– I never invested in a pregnancy pillow with Hattie’s pregnancy, but I do remember tossing all night the last few months, trying to readjust, and stealing pillows from my poor sleeping husband, because my 3 just weren’t cutting it. When I decided to get one for this pregnancy, I figured I would read some thorough reviews, because if I was paying upward of $50 for a dad-gum pillow, it was going to be the one that everyone was raving about. Ya’ll. I just. I wish I could give you one night’s worth of sleep with this thing instead of typing my adoration and longing affection for it onto this page because man. She’s a beaut. I really thought pregnancy pillows were one of those maternal forehead stamps. Like a mini-van or mom jeans, but I get it now. I totally do. I sleep like a baby (just maybe not a breast fed, attached to mama kind of baby, because those don’t really sleep. Can I get an amen…?). I literally close my eyes most nights and open them around 5 am in the same position that I closed them. Minus an occasional trip to the bathroom to unsuccessfully empty my bladder, or a sudden panic attack from my dog outside of my window, I sleep so snug. So perfectly. So comfortably. It’s dreamy. I have no other pregnancy pillow experience to compare it to, but lots of reviews were written by people who had a boppy pregnancy pillow before this one and they voiced that there was no comparison. I’m almost sad to end my pregnancy, because then I won’t have an excuse anymore to have a third person in our bed. If you’re pregnant. Splurge. You’ll thank me when you’re sleeping soundly. Right now you can get the BumpNest straight from their website, or you can go through Nordstrom . Both sites have free shipping, but if you go through Ebates you get 3% cash back. Once again my friends, please, please, use Ebates. It’s free money. So simple. You can also search #bumpnest on instagram to see if any shops are offering coupon codes for $10 off or something of the like, but you will have to order straight from BumpNest to get this discount, if there is one available at the time you are reading this post.
2. Dr. Teal’s Epsom Salt Soaking Solution with Lavender- I’m a lavender lover over here. I’ve talked about how I use lavender with Hattie and around our home, I have lavender Air Wick plug ins in our bedroom, and I use this salt soak every single night. I pick my bags up at Wal-Mart, and pour it into a glass apothecary jar with a scoop that sits next to my tub. It’s relaxing, the lavender is a soothing scent that helps ease your mind at the end of the day, and although I still have yet to really experience any swelling with either of my pregnancies, epsom salt is noted to help relieve edema-which I can imagine is a very frustrating thing. I like to think my night time ritual is helping to prophylactically keep swelling away. They aren’t really expensive, and it’s an easy way to pamper yourself every single day, even if you do have a toddler swimming under your knees and Daniel Tiger singing away on the TV instead of candles and a good book. It’s a simple way to relax in the reality of motherhood, so I say go for it my friend, it’s definitely something that I look forward to at night! Your mental health is very important for a well rounded pregnancy experience, so try to make sure that you find a simple and healthy way to relax and calm yourself. Keeping it simple is key however-because you want to make sure that it’s something you will do every day, or at least several times a week. I know that life can get stressful for everyone, but pregnancy is such a beautiful time-don’t miss out on the fun of it!
3. Lulu Lemon Wunder Under Black Leggings– Not all black leggings are created equal. Amiright? I’ve gone through so many over the years. Ones that were too thin, ones that were too think, ones that were too see through, ones that faded too much in the wash, ones that were made of an icky material that have an affinity for riding well into areas that they shouldn’t-I’ve had them all. I finally sucked it up and dropped the cash on a pair of Lulu Lemon’s famed wunder under’s and my oh my, I can bet you my mail lady thinks it’s all that I own, because it never fails, we are playing outside when she passes-day after day- and I’m sporting my leggings. I promise I wash them. Which leads me to one of my favorite things about them, they don’t fade! They also have the perfect sized band that holds in your bump just right, they hug you in all the right places, they are long enough, comfy enough, and the quality is exceptional enough for me to actually say that I don’t regret spending almost $100 on a pair of black leggings, but if you figure out the cost to wear ratio…eh, I paid pennies :). You may actually be able to find some on Ebay for cheaper, and I’m sure they have some other black leggings out there for less $$ that would work exceptionally. The only other pair that I semi-love are my fleece lined leggings from Target, but LuluLemon just hits the nail on the head with these things. I would buy them again and again and again if I had to. But I hope I don’t. My husband would die. Sorry Ben! Black leggings are a staple for me, especially in pregnancy, where I can wear them under tunics, dresses that have gotten a little short in the front, and even with Ben’s shirts around the house and stay comfortable, plus, when I’m not pregnant, they still fit, and can serve as regular leggings, or yoga pants for exercising. Win win.
4. OPI Nail Envy– My nails are terrible. Allright, allright, my habit of BITING my nails in terrible. I’m not kidding. My mom and I have done everything imaginable to help my claws out, but nothing has ever worked. We’ve used Stop The Bite-I got accustomed to the bitter taste and bit right through it, we popped Vitamin E gel onto my nail beds and cuticles, we had them manicured every so often to promote growth, we took gelatin capsules, we took prenatal vitamins, I even remember being bribed once with a gift from my grandma when she was still alive, and I stopped biting them for a week to earn my gift, and then I resumed once I had that sesame street weaving kit in my possession. When I would grow one nail long enough to actually have a small strip of white at the end, it would crack and break because it was such an amazing thing to see that I couldn’t stop playing with it, and my nails were thin to begin with. I discovered with Hattie, that my nails are mega tough, and grow much faster when pregnant. I missed my pregnant nails once I delivered Hattie, so I wanted to make the most of this pregnancy’s glowing nail period, so I bought this polish, and dang. It’s awesome. You paint on two coats one day, then every other day add another coat. After a week, you remove all of the polish and start over with another two coats, and repeat. It’s a pretty, clear glaze, and you can even just use it as a base coat if you want color, but I LOVE my nails after using this stuff. It really does work if you use it correctly, and I can’t rave about it enough. My nails always look freshly manicured (to me at least) and are hard as can be. Amazon’s pricing for it is great, you will usually pay $12-$15 for a bottle at a salon, so I would suggest ordering through them if you want to give it a shot.
5. Body by Victoria Demi Bra– Let’s talk about breasts for a moment. Mine are super human. They have grown 3. Yes 3 cup sizes since I got pregnant. I am back to the size I was whenever I was nursing Hattie. It’s semi-ridiculous. My bra size has more digits in it than my first paycheck did (to be fair, I was in high school, and it was only for 4 hours…). I can’t stand when my chest spills out of my bra, so I’ve literally had to take 3 different bra shopping trips since April to step up my bra collection to meet my growing needs. I now have a variety of bras in various sizes and loads of bra advice for every chesty woman out there. This bra has been the best at holding in the quantity of breast that I have. It seems like pregnancy widens the breast radius, so my cup really needs to encompass all of that nonsense rather than push it up to my chin, or spread it into my armpits, do you hear what I’m screaming? I loved the fit of my first bra in this style, but it irritated my upper belly, right below my breast area, and come to find out, it was actually the super stiff lace that was doing the scratching and digging, and when you’re pregnant, there’s nothing more irritating than being irritated. If you have a growing belly, stay away from the color options that include lace in the name, you can also click on the photo online to see if there is lace along the bottom. You see that scallopy stuff in the first 10 options. Heck to the no. It’s visually appealing, but wait until your belly isn’t competing for air space to grab one of those. I personally have the black orchid style and wear the heck out of it, along with a couple others (but it’s my favorite so far). Plus, if you’re like me and HAVE to match your underwear to your bra every single day, they have the most comfy ones to match. If they don’t have your size or style you want in the store (like they never do for big ole’ busted me), they’ll order it for you online and have it shipped to your house for free, just tell them at checkout. You wear your bra every day (or at least I hope you do), please make sure it fits and it’s comfortable. For your sanity. And the sanity of those around you….
I hope that this list helped a few of you pregnant mama’s out there with any questions you may have had, or even sparked an idea in your head to do something for yourself that will make your life more delightful.
Blessed are the days of which we grow little humans- delight in them, for they are fleeting, yet wonderful.