Parenting in a healthy manner can sometimes seem daunting….
It’s hard enough trying to keep laundry in order, put three meals on the table, and ensure you don’t drop any curse words in front of little parrots in the process. It’s a life that I absolutely love, so this is definitely not me complaining,this is just me expressing that I know all of you other mommies out there have to really try to keep life not only rolling in a smooth manner, but healthy and wholesome. We don’t wake up one morning as experts on health, and healthy living in general is a static process-meaning- we will always be learning, always be changing our opinions on things as new information is brought to light, or new studies are released. Wholesome living consists of a lot of self education, and discretion to sort through the masses of information available to us, trying to find the truth from the sales tactics. I really do try my best to lead a healthy lifestyle in our home, believing that even the smallest changes can have huge impacts on our current and future health-which is massively important. I sat down and composed a list of current goodies that we rely on in our household to maintain a healthier and safer lifestyle for our bouncing, growing, and curious tot!
If you are new to the essential oil and natural product world-the smell is fantastic-but it is sometimes an acquired one. I love the earthy, clean smell that all of my essential oil filled products lend, but be prepared-it’s not like the chemically enhanced rose petal, coconut, cherry, cucumber melon smells you’ve been experiencing.
1. Honest Multi-Powder– We are a big Honest loving family. Hattie has worn their diapers since August of 2013, we use their multi-vitamins, I take their pre-natal vitamins, and all of our household cleaning supplies- including laundry detergent, and dish-washing liquids come from their reputable company. It may be a tad bit pricier than what I could buy in the store, but I find it a valuable decision. I started using their multi-powder a few months ago, as a gentle and natural way to boost Hattie’s intake of probiotics as well as vitamins and minerals. I try to keep her on a diet well rounded enough to get her the nutrients necessary for healthy living, but toddlers sometimes refuse to stop and eat when they are too busy playing, or go on a two day hiatus of everything except cheese, so it’s always nice to have backup! It is tasteless, and I mix it in with her cup of milk at breakfast, and sometimes her yogurt (you just can’t add it to anything hot!). It has darker granules in it, but they do not seem to phase her in the least. She’s used to seeing chia seeds in her yogurt however, so if your child is picky about the looks of their food, put it in a dark sippy cup where they won’t notice!
Like all other Honest products, this is free of soy, wheat, gelatin, sodium, dairy, eggs, lactose, tree nuts, peanuts, fish/shellfish, gluten, yeast, casein, sweeteners/HFCS, GMOs, dyes/colors, parabens, phthalates, preservatives, salicylates, artificial flavors, pesticides, herbicides, heavy metals & synthetic additives. Information via honest.com.
If you want to order anything from Honest.com or even start your own bundle, you can use this link if you want to help me earn some free moolah 😉 Thanks in advance friends!
2. California Baby Calendula Conditioner– Does your toddler drink their bath water? Mine does. Like has a full on tea party in the tub. I can’t make her stop, it’s maddening. I started to mainly change our product use to healthier choices in these areas-soaps, shampoos, dish-washing liquid, all things that touched our skin, entered our body through our pores, or touched our dishes and food prep tools-because in some way, shape, or form-we ended up ingesting them. Hattie’s locks need extra moisture, so instead of those petroleum, dye, paraben filled products they have at my local market, I opted to find a more natural alternative. California Baby is sold at a variety of retailers, but I get mine at Target. The great thing about this conditioner is that I work it in her hair after shampooing, and I can leave it in to help nourish her curls. No rinsing required! It only takes a tiny bit, and I’ve been on the same bottle for literally like 6 months.
3. Tubby Todd Bath Soap– Are you a sud loving mama? I like to get my rag nice and sudsy before I scrub Hattie down. Sister gets dirty I tell you, really dirty, so I like to know that I’m reaching every inch of her puppy dog smelling skin when I get to cleaning. I found myself using so much of that doubly named multi-national company that specializes in baby washes just to get a good sud going on. Waste no more! I don’t have to put a whole lot of Tubby Todd on my rag to get the suds flowing, and big plus- this soap is paraben free and hypoallergenic! (Parabens have been linked to reproductive problems-no thank you). It can be used as shampoo AND a body wash-which is what we do. It smells like clean lavender, and I literally look forward to ending my day inhaling Hattie’s skin and hair as she falls asleep. I love small company products, because you can usually ensure that lots of time and pride goes into every bottle. Plus, when the owners have kids of their own, you can bet they have their best interests at heart-which in turn means you can pass on these benefits to your own tots!
4. First Alert Dual Fire Alarm– What a random product to throw on a healthy goodies post, right? Not so much. It is actually the most necessary one on this list. If you do not have a fire/smoke detector in every single one of your children’s rooms get your fanny to the store TODAY, and hang it as soon as you get home, that thing won’t save your life on the kitchen table. Fall is a time of year when we spend time organizing, and putting away summer essentials to make room for cold weather gear, and holiday necessities. While making these improvements, why not amp up your home’s protective properties? It’s cheap insurance guys! We recently moved Hattie into her own room, and before she spent one night in it I made a trip to the store to get another detector, it’s just not a chance I’m willing to take. Fire detectors come in two forms: photoelectric, and ionizing. I have a harder time finding photoelectric, which is extremely important! I recommend using a combination alarm-one that does both! A lot of times slow smoldering fires is what kills. The smoke inhalation can cause asphyxiation before the flames even burn you. Photoelectric senses these slow smoldering fires. Ionizing detectors specialize in fast burning flames, like Christmas trees! Tis’ the season to get your home in gear. If your home has gas capabilities, you will want a detector that can picks up on carbon monoxide. Don’t forget to check and change those batteries regularly! iPhone’s can be set to remind you to check and change things on a schedule-use that technology that you pay so much for!
More information on ionizing vs. photoelectric can be found here.
5. Eden’s Garden Organic Lavender Essential Oil-I started using a few essential oils around our home earlier last Spring, and I love the results that I’ve had with them. I use two different companies. Eden’s Garden (via Amazon) and Native American Nutritionals. Both are 100% therapeutic grade, so you can use them medicinally. Great care and research should be done before taking any internally however. I use the ORGANIC lavender from Eden’s Garden a LOT around here. It is completely different, chemically, from the non-organic version, so take note of this (they are made from two different species of lavender plants). Essential oils are highly concentrated, so a little goes a long way, and may seem pricey, but good quality oils are not going to be super cheap. Hattie is a bo-bo freak. She wakes up pointing to and requiring kisses on her bo-bo’s. We live on a farm. She plays outside daily. Bo-bo’s are bound to happen. Mosquito bites, scratches, ant bites, you name it, lavender gets put on it. It helps in the healing process and soothes her scratches. It’s a life saver for surface burns too. I love its calming properties however, and keep it in my purse to use for the toddler breakdowns. If she gets worked up while we are running errands, I can sit down with her and rub a little on her feet or her spine and she melts like butter. It can also be used for kiddos with anxiety, or who are scared of the weather-things like this-and helps to calm those wound up little hearts before bedtime. It comes in a glass amber bottle so that chemical leaching does not occur and oil integrity is not compromised. I prompt you to do some research on each oil before you use them, since some require a carrier oil before they can be applied to the skin, but all in all, they are something great to use to promote a holistic lifestyle in your home!
6. Trader Joe’s Organic Lollipop’s- There is not link for these bad boys because the online distributors like Amazon are going to charge you a fortune for them! They are $2.99 for a pack of 25 at Trader Joe locations, so stop in next time you are around one, or have a visiting friend bring you some when they return from a town that luckily has a Trader Joe’s. These suckers are certified USDA organic and use natural products to dye them, like red cabbage, purple carrots etc. They taste fantastic, and Hattie loves them! Ben commented after tasting one that he doesn’t know why any suckers would be made any differently! Obviously, it isn’t something I would give her everyday, but in moderation they are a much better alternative to other common suckers and candies on the market.
Ingredients: organic evaporated cane juice (sugar), organic tapioca syrup, citric acid, natural flavors (watermelon, pomegranate, orange oil, lemon oil, raspberry), vegetable color (red cabbage, purple carrots, turmeric, annatto)
I hope that you all learned a little about healthier living through my details in this post, or even found some inspiration to incorporate a few small changes to make your lives healthier! I learned a lot of great things about our bodies and what is good for them during my time spent in nursing school earning my bachelor’s degree, but the most valuable thing that I learned was to educate yourself. To do smart research before making a decision, to trust your instincts, to question everything, and that Wikipedia is NOT a scholarly article. My recommendations do not come to you professionally-I cannot do this, but rather they come to you as information from a mom, like you, who is just trying to make the best choices for her family. My best source of learning is other moms, sharing their knowledge, and pushing me to expand mine. Let’s help each other out ladies-motherhood is hard enough as it is!
Now for the GIVEWAY! The fantastic folks at Tubby Todd, like myself, want to help all of you start a more natural lifestyle, so they’ve graciously chosen to bless one of Joleigh Blonde’s readers with a FREE bottle of their Love Lavender Lake wash! To enter, visit Joleigh Blonde’s Instagram, follow if you aren’t already, and then repost the picture describing this giveaway to your own account. You must then return to this blog post and comment below letting me know what little healthy measures you take with your kids, or with yourself to try to promote a better way of living! Contest ends midnight Friday (11/7/14). Winner announced here Saturday morning.
Wishing you the sudsiest of bath times!